Friday, November 16, 2007

So many books, so little time...

We actually all spent some time in a bookstore this evening. Two, in fact, a nice
independent mystery-themed one and a larger brand-name one. I got Ray Bradbury's sequel to Dandelion Wine at the former; I didn't even know it existed, I am so out of touch. And we found some great Chicago-themed books with lots of old p;hotos for family Christmas gifts.

I have always loved bookshops. I worked in one for two years in college and even then, as a teenager, knew the stock better than people bother to now, with all the computers to help them.

There is one in Frankfort, Kentucky, that has an upstairs filled with thousands of old books, many falling to pieces, and has rocking chairs over looking the front windows, where i could easily spend days...Elijah Craig 18 year old bourbon smells just like that place and I like that too.

I have always been filled by an endless sense of wonder at all the intriguing things that can be put on paper between covers and also filled with a little bit of longing and pre-pregret, over all the books I don't have time to read on a daily basis...I think it is part of the midlife crisis thing, too, that the longer I live, the more I know I won't have time to do before I die and that makes me kind of sad, but also inspired at times....at least hang-gliding is still on the list....


Sure, I can try to write eloquent reader-based prose but these days, I am lucky I write at all. The NaBloPoMo went out the window when our younger rabbit died this week after a hellish vet experience. We are looking into that; don't want to talk about it now.

No comments: