Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cutey Baby "That's a Wrap!" Review




In a modern marketing miracle, a Chicago-area mom has gotten major grocery retailers in much of the country to stock her CLOTH diapers in the baby section. See http://www.cuteybaby.com/?page_id=638 to find a store near you.



I just tried their new diapering system and I'd like to compare it to some others I have used. It consists of two parts. There is the cover, which is knit polyester fabric on the outside, and waterproof on the inside; and a separate soaker pad with 4 layers of microfiber topped with stay-dry fabric. The fabric is somewhat thinner than Flip and Thisties covers, but thick enough to do its job.

They also provide disposable liners to make cleanup easier.

My 25-pound 16-month old is at the upper end of the Medium (12-30 lbs) and the lower end of Large (25-40), and I was fortunate to be able to test both sizes on her.



(Gosh, my photography skills make her look fat. Yeah, well... :) Only one pic. She liked the large so well that she gave it a good workout right away and its in the wash).


Things I like a lot:

The insert is very soft and absorbent, washes clean well, and dries quickly. It can go next to baby's skin, unlike inserts for pocket diapers, and I would use them with other covers, too.


The fabrics are very cute, with a range of girl/boy/neutral prints.


The elastic is stretchy and soft and fits snuggly to contain messes (that was quickly tested!)


I like the liners for when I need to use diaper cream, but I don't use them all the time.


I applaud Cutey Baby for tackling mass market retailers like Jewel Foods in our area, to get cloth diapers into the hands of many more parents for the first time.

Minor complaints:
The cover could really benefit from crossover velcro, to be able to overlap the front tabs for a tighter, more adjustable fit. The tabs are proportionately longer than other similarly sized covers. The large would fit my kiddo in the rise but the waist is too large.


The low-profile velcro is pretty clingy, but not as thick or strong gripping as some
brands (Blueberry, Thirsties, Ragababe). I could see a toddler undoing it pretty easily, though mine did not yet get a chance.


It's a personal preference, but I'd like if they were made in USA instead of China, as many other brands do manage within a similar price range (Amazon: $14.99 cover, $10.99 soaker 2-pack. Chicago-area Jewel: 12.99/8.99).


I didn't realize until this week that the are only in grocery stores for a limited test period this month, to see how well they sell, so check them out while you can, especially the adorable monkey prints! They also have great wet bags available, to hold diapers before and after changes while you are out.





Sorry for the lateness of this review, which is due to a freakish malfunction of our post office and a busy work schedule. I was provided a diaper free of charge to review but the opinions are my own.

No comments: